1. Q: What should I do if I was arrested and detained by the police?

A: You have the right to remain silent and the police would caution you by saying, “You are not obliged to say anything unless you wish to do so but whatever you say will be put into writing and may be given in evidence.”

2.  Q: Is it better to engage a lawyer to represent me in court?

A: Yes. Whether you have decided to plead guilty or not guilty to the charge(s), a lawyer can provide you with legal advice and defend you in court. For instance, providing you with analysis on the facts of the case, the possibility of a conviction and possible sentence, etc.

3.  Q: I wish to obtain a lawyer’s advice and appoint him/her to represent me in court. However, I could not afford expensive legal fees, what should I do?

A: You may apply to the Legal Aid Scheme administered by the Legal Aid Department. If you fulfill the required criteria, the Legal Aid Department will appoint a solicitor or barrister to represent you. Please visit the Legal Aid Department’s website for more details. You may also obtain free legal advice and legal representation through the Duty Lawyer Service or the Hong Kong Bar Association.