1.  Q: What is a civil celebrant of marriage?

A: The main job of a civil celebrant of marriages is to witness a couple to become lawful husband and wife. Not every practicing lawyer can become a civil celebrant. A civil celebrant must fulfill the following criteria:

  • At least 7 years of working experience as a lawyer
  • Currently holding a practicing certificate
  • Not subjected to a disciplinary action by professional bodies for the past 3 years
  • Complete the required training as a civil celebrant

2.  Q: What is the procedure for solemnizing a marriage?

A: Grooms and brides-to-be should decide the wedding date, time and venue, then select and contact a civil celebrant. They should go to a law firm to fill in a Notice of Intended Marriage at least 3 months before their intended marriage, and provide the following information to the civil celebrant:

  • The couple’s Hong Kong identity card or travel documents
  • The couple’s parents’ name in Chinese and English
  • The couple’s address, phone number and occupation
  • The marital status of the couple (whether unmarried, widow, widower, divorced or adopted any forms of marriage in the past)

The civil celebrant of marriages will submit the Notice of Intended Marriage to the Registrar of Marriages. After receiving a Certificate of Registrar of Marriages from the Registrar, the civil celebrant can arrange for a marriage ceremony.

3.  Q: How much does the civil celebrant service cost?

A: This depends on the nature and circumstances of individual marriage. Usually, the service cost would be around $2,000 to $4,000.